Tibet Permit & Visa

With respect to law of the People’s Republic of China, in addition to Chinese visa, foreigners also need Tibet Travel Permit / Tibet Entry Permit / Tibet Visa to be able to board a train or plane

to Lhasa. For this, you need to pre-arrange an itinerary through a legal travel agency in Kathmandu or Lhasa before arriving in Tibet. Everything must now be arranged beforehand, and tourists

can’t travel to Tibet alone.


Nowadays, you can only get a Tibet Travel Permit(hereinafter to be referred to as TTB permit as it’s issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau.) through a local travel agency then get to Lhasa.

We need the following documents & info from each traveler to obtain a Tibet Travel Permit. The time needed to apply for it changes irregularly. But we usually need at least 16 days prior to

file the application with these documents & info. Tibet Tourism Bureau will issue a TTB permit about 20 days or so prior tour starting date.


  1. * Colour-scan/photo of the valid passport photo page.
  2. * Colour-scan/photo of valid Chinese visa page.
    (except L Visa, tourist visa, any other types of Chinese Visa need additional stamped paper in Mandarin from your school/company in China, in which your name, passport No., position,                                                  company add should be stated.)
  3. * From which city of China you plan to enter Tibet & which city of China you plan to depart to after your Tibet tour.
    (please be aware, entering/departing city will be print on your permit, once issued, it would be the only city you be able to enter/depart. takes extra time & fee if later you want to change it)
  4. * Job occupation. If currently unemployed or retired, please let us know your previous job.
    (journalists, government officers, and  professional film/photography team, etc. won’t be able to travel Tibet through a travel agency)
  5. * Confirmed tour itinerary with every detail.



  • A Chinese resident of Hong Kong & Macau does not require a TTB permit to enter Tibet;
  • Taiwanese need to consult us case-by-case since the rules change often;
  • Foreigners visitor on business/study/resident visa in China need additional docs to apply for TTB permit;
  • Journalists and embassy staff won’t be able to get a TTB permit as a tourist.


Himalaya Travel Adventures | P O Box : 8655 | Chaksibari Marg ,Thamel Chowk , Kathmandu , Nepal | Mobile : +9779803996149
Email: info@himalayatraveladventures.com
© 2014 Himalaya Travel Adventures | All rights reserved | Designed by SEO Service Nepal.